Summer Design Academy
VAN EYCK SUMMER DESIGN ACADEMY
THE DIGITAL CAMPFIRE series
The Digital vs. the Archaic
24-30 August 2015
Application Deadline: 15 June
Social media is fast becoming the campfire of today, the place where we gather. Our hectic lives freeze-frame around it, it is where we circle with friends, share and tell stories, exchange, inform, and new ideas arise. This digital campfire is where the old and the new meet – the Digital versus the Archaic.
During a weeklong intensive Summer Academy at the Van Eyck, the Design Displacement Group will create site-specific new campfires, using all graphic design media as we know it today, from coding over RISO to vintage Gestetner stencil machines. Setting up camp at the renowned Charles Nypels Printing Lab of the academy, we will hunt, gather, survive, fight and finally transform the works we create together to be presented during an exhibition at the Van Eyck.
Graduates of (graphic) design can apply to hone their skills, explore new (and old) techniques, exchange ideas, investigate the discipline, and learn from leading practitioners in the field of graphic design. The Summer Design Academy is set up to create a dialogue between the different participants and tutors and to collaborate on joint projects while making use of the expertise and facilities at hand in the postacademic institute the Jan van Eyck Academie. Join the collective; apply now!
Tutors: Design Displacement Group
The Design Displacement Group consists of fifteen designers and one social scientist from various disciplines, levels, cultures and nationalities, collaborating on different, often self-initiated, projects in changing compositions. Their design methodology should therefore be understood as collective and post-signature.
- Graduates of (graphic) design (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent training and experience) can apply
- The costs for the Summer Design Academy are: 565,- excl VAT (684 incl VAT). This includes a fixed budget for material, daily lunch and dinner, a publication and exhibition.
- The Van Eyck can offer assistance in finding accomodation in Maastricht
- Applying is done digitally. Apart from the online application form, the other required parts have to be sent in one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. For voluminous files (like videos), please insert a link to the server/website/You Tube/Vimeo where the file can be viewed. Please make sure all the links to external sites work at least up to one month after the deadline has past.
An application consists of:
1. the online application form
2. a PDF file containing the following parts:
a) a motivation letter including a starting statement (max. 500 words)
b) documentation of recent work (dating back no longer than 5 years, max. 20 works)
c) your resume (max. 2 pages)
The online application form can be found here
Contact person: Pieternel Fleskens, email@example.com