Call for applications
Deadline thursday 1 october 2020 – 11:59 p.m. cest timezone
Artists, curators, designers – ranging from graphic, fashion, to food and social design – researchers, writers, and architects are welcome to apply for a 12-month residency starting in 2021. Selected participants are provided with the time and space to develop their work in breadth and depth with all facilities and expertise at hand. The multidisciplinary character of the Jan van Eyck Academie appeals to the artistic and intellectual versatility of the applicants. Their work testifies to an art practice that is investigative and committed.
- A residency at the Jan van Eyck Academie is set to 12 months. A residency can start either in April or September 2021. The exact starting date of your residency is determined by the institute.
- 32 up to 35 spots are available each year.
- There is no age limit (participants are generally between 26-42 years old).
- The enrolment fee at the academy amounts to €2,750 at an annual basis. The enrolment fee should be paid before the start of the residency period.
- Participants receive a monthly stipend of €900 and a working budget of €2,000 annually.
- Duos or collectives can apply with 1 project proposal for 1 residency at the Jan van Eyck. When selected they will share 1 studio and 1 stipend. In that case, the enrolment fee has to be paid only once.
- Participants are expected to settle in Maastricht or direct surroundings (in a radius of 10 km) during their stay at the Van Eyck.
- Fill out the form
- Upload PDF with all documentation
- Fulfill payment of the registration fee
Applying is done digitally and in English via the online application form. In the online application form, you can upload your documentation as one PDF file. This PDF file should not be larger than 10 MB.
* For duos: only one of you needs to fill out the form, he/she will become the contact person for the academy. In the field “Name of your duo, name of your partner “, you can fill out your partner’s name and (if applicable) the name of your duo.
An application consists of the following parts, preceded by a table of contents:
- a project proposal stating the goals and purpose of your stay (max. 500 words)
- first ideas concerning an In-Lab (max. 500 words)
- documentation of recent work (dating back no longer than 5 years, maximum 25 pages)
- your resume (max. 2 pages)
For large files (like videos), please insert a link to the server/website/YouTube/Vimeo where the file can be viewed. Please make sure all the links to external sites work. Double-check your links in the final PDF before submitting it. If links do not work, the selection committee cannot review your application correctly. The links should be active for at least up to two months after the deadline has passed.
- Keep in mind that most of the applications are initially viewed on a horizontal screen (laptop); so place your work in horizontal slides (unless the original work is vertical).
- Make sure you put only one or two works per slide (combining too many works makes the page illegible).
- Please insert title, material, size, and year of the work next to or under the image on the same slide.
The registration fee is €70. The payment procedure is included in the online application: on finalizing the form, you will be redirected to Paypal where you can pay the €70.
Please make sure you have an active Paypal account and that you have your login code at hand. Upon redirecting, you will be asked to sign in.
The deadline for submitting your application is 1 October 2020 Midnight (CEST Timezone). So the last chance to send in your application is on Thursday night October 1st at 23:59 / midnight
After the deadline
You will receive an automatic confirmation that we received your application. You cannot make any adjustments to your application after submitting it. If there are any questions about your application, we will contact you.
Your application will be assessed by a selection committee consisting of the director of the Jan van Eyck Academie, advisors and one or two external members.
The selection committee will assess your application based on the following criteria:
- the quality of your work, your artist’s attitude, and ambition, your visual and reflective skill
- the meaning and relevance of your proposal for your residency at the academy
- your In-Lab proposal
The outcome of the selection procedure will be communicated mid-December.
Before your stay at the Jan van Eyck, you are required to pay a personal contribution. The costs of being enrolled amounts to €2,750 for 1 year.
You will receive a monthly stipend of €900. From this, you will have to deduct rent and living costs. Renting a room amounts to €350 – €500 a month. The rest of the stipend is meant to support yourself. We estimate that it takes an additional €300 – €450 a month to attain an acceptable standard of living.
Each participant has an individual production budget of €2,000 per year.
At the academy, you have an individual studio/working space at your disposal. It is not allowed to use your studio as living accommodation. The academy can advise you in your search for accommodation. It is compulsory to live in or near Maastricht (in a radius of 10 km) during your stay at the Jan van Eyck Academie.
Some foreign participants need a visa and/or a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands. This depends on your nationality. The application for the visa and residence permit will be and can only be done through the Jan van Eyck Academie.
More information concerning visa and residence permits can be found here: https://www.studyinholland.nl/practical-matters/get-prepared
When you enroll as a participant, an agreement of collaboration will be affected. This agreement states all the details concerning your stay, working period, the policies of the academy, and mutual rights and duties. Once you have signed this agreement your working period at the Jan van Eyck Academie can take a start.
The languages of communication at the academy are Dutch and English. We expect you to master the English language sufficiently to be able to converse and collaborate with fellow participants and staff members.
The Jan van Eyck Academie is not an educational institute. Consequently, the institute does not provide degrees or certificates.
Send an email to: email@example.com or call: +31(0)43 350 37 09 / +31(0)43 350 37 36
Contact person: Solange Roosen / Liva Nagle