Caterina van Hemessen Academie
NEARCH – New Scenarios for a Community-involved Archaeology
The long-term EU-funded project NEARCH, that runs from 2103 - 2018, features the Van Eyck as sole art institute among established archaeology faculties and institutes in Europe. The project’s aim is to develop new forms of knowledge transfers among artists and archaeologists. Starting point is the idea that there are quite some similarities between the working methods of archaeologists and artists. The Materiality of the Invisible will show and present the works that were specially made within the framework of this project in an exhibition and a symposium in 2017.
Selected artists and art collectives:
Leyla Cardenas, Joey Bryniarska and Martin Westwood, Klaas van Gorkum and Iratxe Jaio, Matthew Wilson and Rossella Biscotti.
They collaborate with the following archaeological partners in NEARCH:
- Leyla Cardenas - UOFX (Oxford, UK) and ADS (York, UK)
- Joey Bryniarska and Martin Westwood - INRAP (Paris, France), the Archaeology department of Saint-Denis and the University of Gothenburg (Gothenborg, Sweden)
- Klaas van Gorkum and Iratxe Jaio - Incipit (Santiago de Compostela, Spain)
- Matthew Wilson - Leiden University (Leiden) en het Deutsches Archäologisches Institut (Berlin, Germany)
- Rossella Biscotti - Adam Mickiewicz University (Poznan, Poland)
Collaborative partners: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (GR), Institut National de Recherches Archéologiques Préventives (FR), Deutsches Archäologisches Institut, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (ES), Instituto per I beni artistici culturali e naturali dell’Emila Romagna (IT), Culture Lab (BE), Faculteit der Archeologie, Universiteit Leiden (NL), Uniwersytet im. Adama Mickiewicza w Poznaniu (PL), Archaeology Data Service (UK), Centquatre (FR), University of Oxford (UK), Universiteit van Gotenborg (SE). Associated partners: Unité d’archéologie de Saint-Denis (FR), The European Association of Archaeologists (CZ), International Committee on Archaeological Heritage Management (FR)